A former Custer County Judge, Charles R. Matthews, homesteaded the area that now makes up Victoria Springs State Recreation Area. The sixty-acre area gets its name from a natural mineral spring which once drew visitors who believed the theraputic value of the waters. At one time Matthews bottled and sold the spring water. Established as a state recreation area in 1925 (the third designated in Nebraska), Victoria Springs has a campground, picnic area, and nonmotorized boating. The cabin that served as Judge Matthew's home and Custer County's first post office named New Helena, which was the first post office in Custer County remain at the site.From the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission is a map of the recreation area with camping areas and including two modern cabins. The original log cabin home of Judge Matthews and first Custer County post office from Merna, Nebraska.
Proud Supporter of the