Halsey, Nebraska is best known for the 20,000 acres of hand-planted forest west of town. At the forest there are 36 campsite units with picnic tables, firegrates, nearby water and toilets and trash dumpsters are available.
In 1890, Professor Charles E. Bessey, a professor of botany at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, proposed hand-planting a forest in the sandhills of western Nebraska. Originally called the Dismal River Forest Reserve, that forest, along with the North Platte forest near the Pine Ridge area of Nebraska and the Niobrara Forest in North Central Nebraska, were declared the Nebraska National Forest by President Theodore Roosevelt.
An educational video about the forest is available here.
Shaded campground, restroom, shower and laundry
Seven full hook-ups; electricity, water and sewerPrimitive/tent camping
Open Year AroundTwo bedroom, two bath bunkhouse available to rent or at the Redwood Inn.
Find Us on Facebook!
Proud Supporter of the